Wishe Niche

Wishe Niche
How did you make that?

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

German Potato Pancakes

This recipe is from my Gramma Rose, actually the only Gramma I knew and whom Amanda-Rose is named after . She was a good cook , a better canner and an even better baker. I used to go spend weeks with her in the summer where we would take the bus uptown, the Number 4 Broadway. We would have lunch at the counter at A M & A's , buy trinkets and have so much fun. She was my saving grace during my childhood.

German Potato Pancakes
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or more)
1 tsp teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 potatoes, peeled ( or not I just wash mine) and grated
½ cup grated onion ( I just grate ½ a large onion or 1 small)
Small bandage
Vegetable oil ( not olive oil it is a waste of expensive oil)

Directions:

So, you can do these in a food processor but I can tell you they will not be as good! You need an old box grater probably stuck in the back of the cupboard. Grate 4 of your potatoes on the grating part not the shredding part
Grate your onion
Grate your remaining potatoes on the shredding part.
(my grammas’ recipe calls for the blood of one knuckle as well since you always manage to knick one while doing this)
Add Band aid to finger that is now bleeding You will now have a watery pink mixture, ( not from the blood but from the potatoes)
I squish out all the moisture I can.
Now add the rest of your ingredients (minus the band aid and oil)
Heat a reasonable amount of oil in a large skillet till it sizzles.
Drop large spoonfuls of potato mixture in and flatten out the tops, cook till brown and crispy on the bottom (about 3 minutes) then flip.
Now for the argument do you serve them with applesauce or sour cream. I like one of each!

No comments:

Post a Comment